Elevation: 508 m
Area: 124,04 km²
PLAZA DE ESPAÑA
This space has witnessed Valderrobres’ history since the 14th century. It is surrounded by the Town Hall, stylish manor houses such as ‘Casa Pereret’ and ‘Casa Pallarés’ and ‘la Fonda’, dated from the 14th century, which had several functions: fund-raising, house of ‘justicia’ (Medieval institution) and hotel.
IGLESIA PARROQUIAL DE SANTA MARÍA LA MAYOR
This church, in unison with the castle, is a wonderful example of Gothic-Levantine architecture in Aragón. Its origin is linked to the Archbishop of Zaragoza for Pedro López de Luna oversaw its construction in the 14th century. The dominant rose can be seen from a great distance because of its height.
As shown in the coat of arms on the façade, with two taps and an oak tree representing Valderrobres, it was in 1599 when this mannerist building was completed in observance of the latest artistic trends. An emblematic painting of the puritan party (1847) can be found in the main floor.
CASTILLO DE VALDERROBRES
The origins of this fortification go back to the 7th century. It started to become a palace in the 14th century under bishop García Fernández de Heredia, and was the property of the Archbishop of Zaragoza until the end of the 17th century.
This belonged to the bishop of Zaragoza as it was the seat for tax collection. The hospital was located in the same building until the 19th century, when it became council property in the wake of the confiscations and from then on housed the municipal schools.
The old washing place was built in 1931 for women to clean clothes, which they had been doing in the river for years. Although it is obsolete today, it is still near the river in remembrance of its not too distant past.
CASA NATAL DE ELVIRA HIDALGO
Elvira Hidalgo was born in Valderrobres in 1891. She was an opera singer, who appeared in the world’s best theatres. When she retired, she gave singing lessons at Athens Conservatory and other places. One of its students was María Callas.
PORTAL DE BERGÓS
This is an ancient gate in the wall from where the path to Torre del Compte begins. When it lost its defensive function, it was devoted to the Immaculate Conception.
PUENTE DE PIEDRA
The stone bridge has four eyes and dates from the 14th century. It crosses the ‘portal de San Roque’, the ancient main entrance to the village that is flanked by two lions found in one of the castle rooms.
ERMITA DE LOS SANTOS
It is difficult to place it in time while it could be from the first half of the 15th century and it can not be classified in a specific architectural style either. Currently, residents of Valderrobres hold a pilgrimage on August 19.
ERMITA DE SAN MIGUEL
It is a group formed by three parts: the hermitage and two farmhouses, now in a state of ruins. Formerly a pilgrimage was made.