Peñarroya de Tastavins
Elevation: 761 m
Area: 83,28 km²
The building dates from the 16th century although it has been restored several times. The ancient prison is conserved in good condition and graffiti written by the prisoners can still be seen.
CAPILLA DE LA VIRGEN DEL CARMEN
This is one of the seven portals into the walled urban centre. As well as its defensive function, the Baroque chapel meant it also served a religious role from 1763.
IGLESIA SANTA MARÍA LA MAYOR
This Renaissance temple was built in the 18th century during the extension of the village, replacing former churches. Two elements stand out: the façade and the Baroque bell tower.
REMAINS OF CASTTLE
The remains of the original urban centre of Peñarroya are located on the hill called ‘La Mola’. Only the castle, the wall and the lookout towers are preserved on the surface from the first Muslim settlement, as it has suffered over the years from the vicissitudes of wars.
IGLESIA DE SAN MIGUEL – LO ROSER´GOTHIC SPACE
This church, known as ‘Lo Roser’, was built due to the increase in population in the 14th century and the inadequacy of the ancient church of ‘La Mola’ and the cemetery. However, it fell into disuse when the current church was built. The apse has recently been refitted as a cultural venue.
LA LONJA – LAVADEROS
‘La Lonja’ (porches), where the market took place and people played ball, was built in the 16th century. Theere was also a butcher here, which was the only place where meat could be sold and animals killed, because that was a stately right. The washing place was built in the 1860s.
SANTUARIO DE LA VIRGEN DE LA FUENTE
This is the most ancient building, dating from 1341. The most prominent feature of its Gothic-Mudejar construction is its wooden ceiling. It is also a value example of Mudejar carpentry in Aragón, decorated with heraldic motifs and human faces. In 2001, it was declared a World Heritage Site of Mudejar architecture in Aragón.
Located on the ground floor of the consistorial house, dates from the sixteenth century. It consists of three rooms whose one served as housing for the jailer. Some graffiti and a ring are preserved.
ERMITA DE SAN LLAMBERT
It dates from 1327, it is a hermitage of popular character in whitewashed masonry. On the Sunday closest to June 19, a pilgrimage is celebrated, this tradition exists since the eighteenth century.