Elevation: 857 m
Area: 79,20 km²
CASTILLO Y TORRE DEL RELOJ
‘La Torre del Reloj’ was built over a rock formation. What’s unusual about the clock is that it needs to be wound up once a week. The castle was of Muslim origins and was also located here, but only ‘la bassa del Castell’ (pond) and the base of the wall are preserved today. It was destroyed by three consecutive fires.
PORTAL DEL SANTO DOMINGO
Only this portal, out of the original four in the wall, has been conserved. Although its origins date back to medieval times, it was built in the 18th century. Several wars left it battered, mainly in 1839, but it was restored in 1993..
PLAZA DE JOSA
This square’s name comes from how it was originally built on the site of ‘Casa Josa’, a huge stately home that has long been destroyed. In addition to the church, ‘la Barbacana’ (or wall), ‘la Calle empedrada’ and some manor houses converge within the square. It is a hive of activity, with dances and traditional games taking place here during local festivities.
PLACETA VIEJA/EL HOSTAL
The medieval urban planning can be observed at this meeting point of several streets. Some private buildings are also located in this square, such as ‘Casa Caldú’ and ‘el Hostal’, the palatial home featuring Gothic and Renaissance elements that was used as a hostel until the 1960s.
IGLESIA PARROQUIAL DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA ASUNCIÓN
This church has changed over time. The current building is of Gothic origin and dates from the 16th century, but later additions were made in the Renaissance style.
This is a Renaissance building from 1588, although it was extended just six years later. In 1981, it was restored to serve for local administration and cultural uses. It has an outstanding ‘la Lonja’ (porches) with three arches as well as an ancient prison that was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century.
It could go back to the times of the Muslim domination (8th-12th century). In 1979, it fell into disuse since the elevation of water was built from another point and that in 1967 the houses had running water.
ERMITA DE SANTA BARBÁRA
Composed of ground floor and a raised floor, it was the hermit’s house. On the door of this unit (it forms a crescent arch of half a point), which opened to the east and which is contiguous with the main access to the church, we observe the existence of a tile with the number 1 that corresponds to the signage of the buildings.